- The ferries are open boats and it is essential for passengers to be appropriately dressed for cold, rain and spray.
- The ferries are MCA certified vessels operated by Brightlingsea Harbour Commissioners and are licensed to carry up to 12 passengers. They can also carry dogs, bicycles, pushchairs and wheelchairs. They have a landing ramp giving disabled access to the shore. Beaches are shingle and suitable for walkers but may present difficulties for others.
- The ferry berths at the end of the public jetty at Brightlingsea. At Wivenhoe ferry jetty or Sailing Club jetty or public jetty. The floating pontoon at Rowhedge and King Edward Quay (near the Sea Cadet Lightships) at the Hythe, Colchester. East Mersea Stone and Point Clear are beach landings.
Terms and Conditions of Carriage
- Children under 12 years must be accompanied by an adult.
- BHC reserves the right to refuse carriage to anyone suspected of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Dogs are carried at the discretion of the Coxswain provided that they are on a lead and under control.
- BHC reserves the right to limit the number of dogs, bicycles, pushchairs and prams on the ferry on any particular journey.
- Passengers must remain seated whilst the ferry is moving.
- No smoking is permitted on the ferry.
- The ferry service may need to be suspended in adverse weather conditions or at times of exceptional tides. At these times BHC is not responsible for providing alternative transport.
- As above. Essential information and terms and conditions of carriage.
- The minimum Charter is for 1 hour.
- All Charter bookings need to be pre-paid in full.
- If your Charter booking is cancelled by BHC an alternative date will be offered or a full refund given.
- If you cancel you Charter before 7 days of your booking a full refund will be given. If you cancel your Charter within 7 days of your Charter booking a refund will not be given, however, if an alternative date can be arranged payment can be transferred to the new booking date.
Wivenhoe Pub Lunch River Cruise
- As above. Essential information and terms and conditions of carriage
- For the trip to run a minimum number of 6 passengers is required.
- The ticket is not transferable and cannot be used as part payment for ferry or Black Buoy Inn.
- The Harbour reserves the right to cancel due to a lack of passengers, weather, tides etc. If your trip is cancelled BHC will contact you on the contact details provided and an alternative date will be offered, or a full refund given. Refunds will not be given if you cancel your booking within 7 days of the trip.